Friday, November 16, 2012

Spanking: A parent's job












I recently read an editorial by one of my fellow bloggers called A Pass On Spankings; and my
initial thought was, "Finally! Someone who believes that spanking is an essential part of
parenthood!". I responded as such because it is becoming less and less common to see or
hear of people spanking their children. I will unofficially say that the thought of "spanking is
cruel and unnecessary" turned into a fad about ten years ago; and from what I've seen of the
pre-teens out there, I don't believe the theory worked. It is well known by now that I am a
person who deeply believes in respect and I'm seeing hardly any traces in today's youth.
From results that I have personally seen, children who were spanked respected their parents
much more than those who weren't disciplined. Now that I have gotten my beliefs clear on the
topic of spanking I will finally refer back to the original editorial, which is about spanking in a
school environment.
I learned about five years ago that there was even such a thing as spankings in schools. I
grew up in California where such a thing wasn't done; respectfully avoiding the Catholic
schools and stories of nuns and rulers. When I first heard of this topic it didn't seem anything
more than interesting on how different my childhood had been from my husband's. Now,
however, it leaves a certain bad taste in my mouth; it just doesn't quite sit right with me. The
main reason for that is very well explained by my fellow blogger, stating that "This particular
area of education is territory that should be cultivated at home--in a loving, respectful,
controlled, and sober environment--where TRUST is a foundation that's been firmly laid." In
other words, it is MY job as a responsible parent to make sure that the child I brought into this
world is being raised properly.

No comments: