Friday, December 14, 2012

Women Unite for Planned Parenthood

I recently came across a fellow blogger's site that discussed a topic I personally find very important; funding for Planned Parenthood. Ms. Dehoyoz explains here how it is wrong for Texas to completely cut off funding to an organization that is dedicated to women's healthcare. Frankly, I couldn't agree more.
As a woman who has been helped by planned parenthood in the past and has several friends that were also helped when they had nowhere else to turn, it is an organization that I believe is entirely worth the money. Especially in the state of Texas where we have a reputation for one of the worst states in the nation when it comes to women's health. With this information, why would we ever want to make our statistics worse and risk even less women getting the proper healthcare that they need?
My guess is that it has to do with a particular procedure that Planned Parenthood performs; abortions. Now while my personal view on abortion is pro-life, that is an opinion that I reserve specifically for my own body. I don't pretend to know exactly what another woman is or has gone through. For that reason, I think that to provide a safe and medically sound environment is important.
The other bad reputation that Planned Parenthood gets is that it is a promoter of sex. While it is true that a young woman can walk into a clinic and receive a form a birth control, whether it's a condom, the pill, etc; this organization is trying to promote safety for something that teenagers with hormones racing through their bodies are going to do anyways. I believe that it's a parent's job to teach their children values about their bodies and sex; if they have done that properly then they won't have to worry about the problem. However, there are teens out there who haven't been taught those values, and for their sake I believe that Planned Parenthood needs to stick around.
Overall, I thought that Ms. Dehoyoz did a great job expressing her opinion on the topic; using cites and statistics to back her argument.

No comments: