Friday, October 5, 2012

Religion and Politics



Let me begin by saying that I don’t necessarily think that religion and politics can be separated; unless you are someone who doesn’t have any religious views at all. Most people’s beliefs about morals and how this country should be are rooted in a religion of some sort. Typically, these views align with the religion you were raised in.
While I do agree with this editorial and how religion is very much a part of the public arena; I do not believe that that’s what Governor Perry meant.  In his quote he states that, “…one of the untruths out there is that people of faith should not be involved in the public arena.” (To read the entire quote and article, visit DallasNews.com) Let’s dissect this quote for a minute: should not are the words used, he doesn’t say that they are not. My interpretation is that Gov. Perry is expressing how there are those in this country who do not believe that the two subjects should be linked. In fact, he specifies that this belief is an “untruth”, leading me to believe that he himself feels differently. While the editorial sets out to prove that religion and politics are very much intertwined, and I think that was accomplished, it actually doesn’t address the quote that is included. In fact, the second paragraph explains how Gov. Perry meant that there are people, namely “secularists and leftists”, that are trying to keep the two separate.  The reality, it’s true; there are those out there with that belief and although I don’t agree with it they are entitled to the opinion.
So the reason for this article in the first place? My first conclusion jumps to how the author may not be a particular fan of this state’s governor. Maybe these words are meant to draw in people who, like me, believe that the two are linked but don’t take the time to interpret what the governor actually says.

No comments: